Shell Bib Necklace Tutorial

10:48:00 AM


This week I got a chance to go to a really cool bead store called Black Market Minerals. I picked a bunch of really cool strands from their dollar table...



Lots of fun, right?

I don't have kiddos in school, so to me, August is still summer, and I've been looking at all the coral stuff this summer wishing I had some coral things to wear. But I'm not brave enough to go with a whole article of clothing. Most of my work clothes are a variation of black or brown. But I'm brave enough for a pop of coral in jewelry, and these strands of coral colored shell beads were calling my name. Shells plus coral color definitely equals summertime! I had picked up some necklace hardware for a simple one stranded necklace, but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted something a little, well more.

I settled on a simple bib-type design necklace using the coral shell beads and some pretty turquoise beads, but I didn't really want to go back to the store to get more hardware, so this is how I made a simple bib necklace without extra hardware.

First, I took the strand with the latch hardware already attached. I threaded on about 8 beads so that the back of the necklace was just one strand.


The next bead had two strands going through it, with the nylon beading line (not stretchy) knotted so that it would stay.


Then I kept threading the two strands to create the "bib" portion of the necklace, keeping in mind that I needed to allow the same basic length for the other side once it was joined back.


I then threaded both strands through a single bead and then made a not in the secondary strand.


To finish up, I put 8 more beads on the original strand and put the other side of the clasp on. I then trimmed up the ends.


That's it! The only hardware I used was the clasp hardware, and I ended up with a pretty beachy bib necklace.




You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. That turned out so beautifully! I've never made jewelry before, but I've been tempted to start. I might try this one first because it doesn't need any jump rings or anything. I pinned for future reference! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved this color combo- so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful job! Thanks for joining the party at One Creative Weekend! I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love this.....and never thought knotting the string like that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is REALLY CUTE!

    Found you via Made in a Day. Had to follow you on Pinterest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, beautiful necklace! I love the color combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful site! Stopping by from a blog hop, if you get a chance feel free to stop by my site!

    ReplyDelete