Barbecue Kale Chips

8:42:00 PM

One of the hazards of getting a produce basket from the local CSA is that you sometimes get some vegetable that you don't know quite what to do with.

Like kale.

At first, I pureed it and mixed it with fruit and gave it to the twins. But that was when they were babies, and trying to catch up gaining weight from being born 2 months premature. They are older and wiser now--it's harder to put something as strong tasting as kale in front of them.

Then, I tried putting kale in a smoothie. My husband a smoothie enthusiast, came very close to rebelling.

Actually, he refused his smoothie and told me to never ever try that again.

So the last time we had kale in our basket, I decided to try something new: kale chips.

But around our house, we don't do plain chips often.

The favorite: Barbecue Chips...So it wasn't a far leap to decide to make Barbecue Kale Chips! And I thought the smokiness of the spices would help disguise the strong flavor of the kale.

Here's the recipe:
2 bunches of kale
2 tablespoons olive oil
sea salt, to taste
1/4-1/2 teaspoon Smokehouse Maple Seasoning Mix from McCormick, or similar

Preheat oven to 300. Wash the kale and dry very well.


Remove the ribs and stems and tear into pieces around 2 inches square. Toss with the olive oil and spices.


Spread out onto either parchment paper or a silicone pad (like a Slipat) on a baking sheet.. Bake for around twenty minutes, or until everything is crispy.



I have to say that no one would eat it except me. Kale has a pretty bad rap around here. But I ate every single bite. I'm not saying that I'm going to go out and buy bunches of kale each week, but I definitely know what I'm doing the next time kale ends up in my produce basket...Barbecue Kale Chips.




You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. Hi Rachel - I just found your blog last night. I was pretty excited since I'm also a mother of three littles (5,3, and 1) AND an architect. Although, I left architecture with the birth of #3 to do...DAYCARE:)

    I'm enjoying looking around your blog. Great recipes and craft ideas. I, for one, LOVE your new banner - speaks/represents well the many roles you're filling.

    If you get a chance I'd love for you to check out my new (as in up last week;) blog - ifihadamillionhours.wordpress.com.

    Keep up the great posts! -Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited to find another architect mom blogger!! I'll be checking you out!!

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, I'll have to try this!

    I'd love to have you link up at my Weekend party!

    http://westernwarmth.blogspot.com/2012/10/weekend-warmth-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made kale chips a few times but i just use sea salt and evoo...maybe if they tasted like bbq chips my husband would eat them. ;)

    I would love for you to add this recipe to my Weekend Meal Planner linky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!!! I need to try this, I love kale. So nummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUUUMMM I love Kale Chips so delicious even my junk food loving Dad loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to have to try this! Thanks for linking up on Saturday Show and Tell. I hope you'll be back again this week with more great stuff.
    -Macknezie
    http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love, LOVE Kale Chips. And I don't even try to fix them for anyone else in the house. They're ALL mine!! I can't wait to try the BBQ version!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love, LOVE Kale Chips! And I don't even try to serve them to anyone else in the house! They're ALL mine! Can't wait to try BBQ KC's!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never tried kale chips, but I think I might have to after seeing your idea. Thanks for sharing. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just put up a baked kale chips recipe on my blog, but I like the idea of adding the BBQ flavor! Would love if if you linked up on my blog hop www.w-t-fab.com/search/label/bloghop. Also let me know if you'd like to follow each other!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE this! Making some tomorrow or Friday!

    ReplyDelete