A Wreath for Fall

9:15:00 PM

Fall Yarn Wreath

I am not a fake silk flower kind of gal.

I love live plants, cut flowers, and botanical art of all kinds.

But I've never been a fan of the silk variety. But I've been cruising Pinterest over the last few weeks, and I have to say, I'm digging all the cool silk flowers and leaves out there decorating mantles and wreaths. And I've already shared here why live plants (and even cut flowers) have a dangerously low life expectancy in my house unless they are under glass.

But I'm itching to decorate for fall--call it Blogging/Pinterest peer pressure. So when I decided to do a wreath for fall, I though I'd check out the silk flower section at my local Michaels...and I picked up a few items. And then I found a wreath form marked 75% off because it was broken. I figured that I could tape that guy right back up, especially since the whole thing was going to be covered, anyway.

So this is how the whole wreath was made:


I took my wreath form and performed the minor surgery required to keep it together.

I then found some yarn that I had on hand that has an autumnal colorway (it was given to me years ago, and I am always thrilled to use my free yarn stash!). I wrapped the yarn around (and around...and around..and around) the wreath form until the form was covered.



I then selected some of the silk flowers I had--I went with a mostly neutral theme--and, well, jammed them into the wreath in an artistic fashion (hey, I told you I'm not a silk flower kind of gal--I don't know the correct terminology nor the correct technique for a project such as this--someone please teach me!).

Then I decided I wanted something that shouted fall to complete the look. I mean literally shouted fall. So I made some bunting out of kraft paper and strung it up on the wreath. I found some fun letters and spelled our "Fall."




Not bad for someone who doesn't know what she's doing with silk flowers, right? Literally a $5 project! And here comes the fall decorating blitz! Yeah!



Sometimes I link up at the following places: 504 MainAKA DesignA Little TipsyAt the Picket FenceBeyond the Picket Fence, Blessed with GraceCandace Creations, Craft-o-maniacCrafty Scrappy HappyEat at Home, Finding Fabulous, Gingersnap CraftsHouse of HepworthsHow to Nest for LessI Heart Naptime, Lil LunaLive Laugh RoweMade in a Day, MomTrendsNot Just a HousewifeOne Creative MommyOrganizing JunkiePositively Splendid, Southern HospitalitySimply Sugar and Gluten FreeSix Sisters Stuff, Sugarbee Crafts,  The Finer Things and I Dream of Clean’s Spring Cleaning ChallengeTatertots & Jello, The Finer Things in LifeThe Grant LifeThe King's Court IV, Thrifty Decor ChickTidy MomUnrefined By Design,Uncommon DesignsUnder the Table and Dreaming and Vintage Wanna Bee.

Domestically Speaking

You Might Also Like

38 comments

  1. This is SO beautiful! You are very talented:) I'm so jealous that you found a wreath foam for 75% off! I would have been alllll over that too!

    XOXO your new fan,
    Kelly at Smart! School {House}
    http://www.facebook.com/SmartSchoolHouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so pretty! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Six Sisters. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/09/make-it-pretty-monday-week-13.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Its Cheri from Its So Very Cheri. Your wreath is beautiful. Your multi tones yarn looks perfect for Fall.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it for fall! I've loved looking through your blog! I wanted to invite you to share over at my link party too! It's hosted every Saturday and is all about 'Your Great Idea'. Hope to see you soon! http://www.oneshetwoshe.com/2012/09/hello-weekend-50-mikarose-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did such a wonderful job on your wreath! I would love to have you come share this beautiful wreath at Sunday Round Up! 2 Blogs = 1 party, Hope to see you there! >> http://www.kaylascreationsblog.com/2012/09/sunday-round-up-20.html Have a great weekend!

    -kayla :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you did go round and round and round to a beautiful wreath. A secret - I just jam those stems in, too!

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, It's good to know someone arranges silk flowers like I do! :-)

      Delete
  7. I love your wreath! You did a fantastic job. The fall banner just makes it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is so cute! I need a new fall wreath! love this idea!

    Thanks so much for linking up! I featured your post in my wrap up http://tidymom.net/2012/a-taste-of-fall/

    Have a fabulous rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty wreath! The flowers look great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This turned out beautiful! I love that you used yarn to wrap the wreath with and the fall banner topped it off beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a neat idea. Love it!

    Hopping by and following your lovely blog (FB, Pinterest, Twitter).

    The Quiet Mom blogging:
    Recipe: Garlic-Parsley Fried Brown Rice
    Crafting: Skip-Counting Project: Count by Five

    ReplyDelete
  12. BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm featuring you on my Favorite Fall wreaths round up!

    Mallory @ Classy Clutter
    www.classyclutter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so pretty! You thought of every little detail and it just screams Fall! Thanks for sharing this with us this week!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very pretty wreath - and on the cheap too - fantastic!

    I would love to invite you to post this over at my link party on The Purple Pumpkin Blog! Hope to see you there :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! I love the yarn you used! We'd love for you to link this up at our party! http://housewivesofriverton.blogspot.com/2012/09/riverton-housewives-round-up-32.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. visiting from under the table and dreaming. I LOVE the wreath! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this wreath!! TFS!! Stopping by from Craft-O-Maniac linky party. Here is what I shared this week: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.ca/2012/09/another-fur-baby-coat.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so great! I would LOVE if you would share this at my Crazy Cute Party happening right now! I've got a totally awesome giveaway that you could win just for linking up! Come on over! ;D

    Between U & Me

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great look. I am not sure I'd have the patience to wrap that yarn :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did this while watching TV. I actually do that a lot when I craft. I like to call it crafty multi-tasking!

      Delete
  20. The yarn color is so perfect. This wreath is inspiring to me. I wanna make one now!

    Bobi
    http://westernwarmth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely wreath! Great job! Would love if you'd join our Countdown to Fall link party! Hope to see you there! Have a great week! :)
    http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/2012_09_10_archive.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this look. Great job. Thanks so much for linking up at One Creative Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness this is so pretty! I love it! Featuring you tomorrow! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a pretty wreath! You did an amazing job! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Beyond the Picket Fence. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/09/make-it-pretty-monday-week-14.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your wreath found you over at Tatertots and Jello would love it if you would come by and share it a Share It One More Time linky party http://www.onemoretimeevents.com/2012/09/are-you-in-mood-to-party-share-it-one.html
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love your fall wreath! I just wish it would cool down here so I can get in the mood to decorate & make one for myself! lol Love yours! Visiting from DearCreatives.com feel free to drop by & link up anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh this is fall perfection at its finest! A truly wonderful wreath!

    While we don't have much fall here in Phoenix I would love for you to stop by to see where I did find a bit of fall.

    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello, what a clever wreath! I would love to have you link up with my Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/09/clever-chicks-blog-hop-2-featured-post.html

    I hope to see you there!
    Cheers!
    Kathy
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
  29. A wreath I want to put on my door in my mckinley hill condo for rent. I know I can make one soon. Thanks for this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such a pretty wreath great addition to your front door. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous! Do you have a tutorial for the bunting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really have anything more than what I posted. I took triangular paper shapes, used a needle to thread the embroidery thread through, and used glue to stick on the letters. Hope that helps!

      Delete