Ricotta and Bacon Twice Baked Potatoes

6:30:00 PM


This recipe came out of a need for a side one evening and a lack of "normal" ingredients. I wanted to make twice baked potatoes out of some leftover baked potatoes, but my normal recipe calls for sour cream, and I was fresh out--probably because of my new favorite breakfast recipe--Blueberry and Sour Cream Refrigerator Oatmeal!

Anyway, I thought that some ricotta cheese could replace the sour cream and the cheddar cheese in a typical twice baked recipe. But since ricotta has a tendency to be bland, I wanted something to add some additional flavor. I had a bell pepper on hand, so that went in, but I needed something else to give a little oomph to the recipe. My eye settled on the real bacon bits we picked up the weekend previous, and well, in my household anything is better with bacon in it, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

My husband was a little doubtful that I was messing with one of his favorite recipes, but I guess everything is better with bacon in it--he has given me his blessing to do this version again! The recipe is gluten free, for those of you concerned with that. Enjoy!

Ricotta and Bacon Twice Baked Potatoes
3 already baked large baking potatoes
1/3 cup part skim ricotta cheese
1/2 of a medium bell pepper
1/4 cup real bacon bits or crumbled bacon
Salt and pepper to taste


Preheat oven to 400F. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Carve the potato flesh out of the shells and put the flesh in a microwave safe bowl, leaving about 1/4 of an inch to the shell. Set aside shell. Warm up potato flesh in the microwave if they are leftovers (this cuts down on cooking time in the oven).  

While the potato flesh is in the microwave, dice the bell pepper. Use a potato masher to break up the potato flesh. Put the ricotta cheese, bell pepper, and bacon in the bowl. 

Season to taste and mix well. Keep in mind the ricotta is very mild in taste so you’ll want to be liberal with the salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into potato shells. 



Bake until starting to brown on top and heated through, around 15 minutes. Enjoy!





You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. They look absolutely delicious. Ricotta looks like a great substitute. I have been wanting to make some fresh ricotta. I am a little terrified though. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never made fresh ricotta, or any cheese, for that matter. Do you have a recipe that you are going to try?

      Delete
  2. I saw you on the blog hop and wanted to stop by! I'm really glad that I did! These look delicious! You've got a new follower in me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great blog you have! Can't wait to try some of your recipes! New follower from from the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! My husband would be thrilled with the addition of ricotta. Stopped by from the blog hop- love the site!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel,

    Those look amazing! What a great recipe....I love ricotta cheese!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I hope you try the recipe.

      Delete
  6. I like the idea of adding Ricotta - great way to switch things up. I think I am going to have to try your oatmeal recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks ridiculously good! I hope you will stop by on Wednesdays at www.FirstHomeLoveLife.com for my recipe link up party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great recipe, Rachel. Your potatoes look so delicious. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I appreciate your comments on the pillow I made.

    PS. Your email shows as a no reply blogger. Which basically means if you leave a comment I can not respond to you through email. To change this, go to your blogger dashboard, click "edit user profile", then check "show my email address" and save! Hope you find this info helpful! Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I have made the change you suggested! Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  9. These twice baked potatoes look amazing and delicious! Thanks for sharing this recipe with all of us. Thanks for joining us for "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". We loved having you and hope you'll be back soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  10. And Pinned! Yum
    LB
    www.accordingtol.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok I'm drooling! They look AMAZING!

    Please share with the mamas at All Things (Heart)&(Home) Link Party at www.mercyinkblog.com --- they will adore this recipe!

    blessings,
    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! I love twice-baked potatoes but never would have thought of using ricotta. Can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh! Those sound yummy! I'm hosting a linky party "One Creative Weekend" at OneCreativeMommy.com. I'd love for you to visit and link up this idea and/or anything else you'd like to share.

    ReplyDelete