“Gingerbread” Cookies for Babies

8:14:00 PM


If you look at the premade “toddler” food, or even our normal adult convenience snacks, I think you’ll be horrified to see the amount of sodium in virtually any option. I was looking for some kind of snack for my twins that I could easily give them on the road or grab for a snack. I also have a bunch of baby cereal in my stockpile that I want to use up. I wanted something low in sodium and sugar but with more nutritional value than just the cereal. I did a search online for baby cookies, and then I combined about 3 recipes (including my favorite gingerbread recipe), and this recipe is what I developed. They are soft, crumbly cookies--not to sweet, but full of nutrition without all the sodium and sugar.





 My babies loved them, and I'm having to exert some major willpower not to snack on them myself.

“Gingerbread” Cookies for Babies

Ingredients:
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 cup butter
1 egg
1 banana, mashed (or fruit puree)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups infant cereal (any variety)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375. Grease a cookie sheet or spray with nonstick spray or use parchment paper. Cream molasses and butter together with your mixer. Mix in egg, banana and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Blend together. The batter will look like this.

 Drop the cookie batter onto the cookie sheet by rounded teaspoonful 2 inches apart. Bake 10-12 minutes. This recipe makes between 18 and 24 small cookies.

If your child has special dietary needs because of age or a specific condition, you can substitute gluten free flour, 2 egg yolks or egg substitute for the egg, and another fruit for banana.

I think this cookie is perfect for breakfast or snack...or dessert...mmm. Maybe they aren't toddler food, after all....






 

Sometimes I link up at the following places: Friday Food at MomTrends, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free, Hooking up with House of Hepworths, The Finer Things and I Dream of Clean’s Spring Cleaning Challenge, The Grant Life, The King's Court IV's What's Cooking Wednesdays and Organizing Junkie's Menu Planning Monday.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. These would be a great addition to my sons list of foodage. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete